Introduction to Shenks Whiskey: A Brief History
Shenks Whiskey, the iconic American whiskey, has been pleasing drinkers for over 100 years. Shenks Whiskey was first made in 1910 as a straight rye whiskey from pure corn and aged in charred oak barrels. It gained popularity quickly as one of the few commercially-produced whiskeys of its time. It remains today as a beloved classic that is used to enhance cocktails or to be enjoyed neat.
Since 1910, Shenks Whiskey has remained largely unchanged in regards to its components and production methodology. The premium American whiskey is still produced with pure corn, but aging methods have evolved over the centuries and now incorporate use of used bourbon barrels which give it its well rounded flavor profile. A traditional slow distill process is used which imparts a smoothness that can’t be replicated by any other distilling method. As Longfellow World Spirits notes, “Today’s Shenks Whiskey carries on the old recipes and traditions but also uses modern aging techniques to craft an outstanding spirit.”
Its unique taste comes from its pre-Prohibition recipe along with mellow flavors imparted by longer barrel aging times that balance the sweetness of corn grains with spice notes usually found in rye whiskeys. This combination creates a definitive smooth drinkable whiskey experience rooted somewhere between sweet and sharp profiles creating a richly flavored offering that continues to make enthusiasts flock back for more!
Whether you like your whiskey neat, on ice or mixed into cocktails – each special sip of Shenks Whiskey transports you back to that era when artisanal processes were all that mattered – providing time tested quality New York City style throughout century after century!
How is Shenks Whiskey Distilled?
Shenks Whiskey Distilling is a centuries-old art form that requires skills and knowledge passed down through generations of distillers. The process starts with the raw ingredients, which are usually malt barley, wheat, rye or corn. The grains are milled and then combined with yeast and water to create a mash. This mash is then heated in a large pot still where the alcohol vaporizes off the top, cooled and condensed back into liquid form.
The distilled spirit from this first step can be used as an unaged whiskey or put through further stages of distillation for more refinement. In pot stills the curved sides cause the rising vapor to come into contact with cooler surfaces for greater condensation and therefore higher alcohol content in the finished product. Shenks Whiskey uses both pot and column stills for combination batches; giving each expression its signature flavor profile derived from different combinations of copper contact time and cuts made during distillation process stages.
Once distilled, many whiskeys are left to age in oak barrels. The high concentration nature of matured whiskey allows it to draw up elements like tannins, vanillins, lignin’s and color pigments out of the wood creating flavorful spirits that often take on character traits specific to their barrel type such as sherry casks or American White Oak Bourbon barrels with strong vanilla notes..
When aging is complete, some whiskies can be bottled straight away while others might be blended together before bottling – Shenks whiskeys fall into both categories depending on their desired flavor profile upon completion. Blending also helps ensure consistency between batches ensuring a similar flavor experience batch by batch over time and makes possible balanced expressive flavors outside traditional single cask offerings..
All this craftsmanship culminates in each bottle of Shenks Whiskey: created skillfully from grain to glass one selection at a time.
What are the Different Varieties of Shenks Whiskey?
Shenks Whiskey is an award-winning American whiskey brand that has been in the industry since 1828. Over the years, Shenks has developed a reputation for producing top-tier whisky, with their most popular varietals including:
• Shenks White Rye – This variety offers flavors of sweet vanilla, oak, and a hint of almond. It is aged in white oak barrels to ensure its flavor is consistent.
• Shenks Straight Bourbon – This bourbon is aged for at least two years in charred American Oak barrels. The smooth blend highlights notes of toffee, spice and charred wood.
• Shenks Small Batch Bourbon – Aged for three years, this premium bourbon features hints of caramel and orange peel. Its long finish makes it perfect for sipping neat or on the rocks.
• Shenks Single Barrel – This single barrel offering showcases all that this distillery can do when given time to age its products properly. Highlights include tastes of honeycomb, baking spices and nutmeg with vanilla and oak undertones.
• Shenks Blended Rye – This whisky stands out from other rye whiskeys because it employs a combination of diverse recipes giving it a full-bodied character unlike any other standard rye on the market today. Flavors include dried fruit notes with touches of peppermint and citrus zest followed by a smoky finish.
No matter which type you choose, one thing’s certain – you’ll be getting an unforgettable experience whenever you crack open a bottle of America’s favorite whiskey!
Step by Step Guide to Enjoying a Glass of Shenks Whiskey
Step One: Preparation
The most important element of enjoying a glass of whiskey is proper preparation. You must make sure that you have the correct supplies and tools available in order to enjoy the whiskey to its fullest. Here are some supplies that you should have on hand:
• A glass – ideally, use a Glencairn or snifter-shaped glass for best results;
• A jigger or shot measure – this helps ensure that you pour an appropriate serving size for each pour;
• Ice cubes (optional) – these can be either large or small cubes depending on your preference;
• Water (optional) – if desired, add a few drops of fresh water to your drink to bring out its flavor even more.
Step Two: Serve the Whiskey
Once you’ve gathered your supplies, it’s time to serve the whiskey. If using ice cubes, you can add them directly to the glass first, followed by pouring in an appropriate amount of Shenks Whiskey. If using water, add it after pouring in the whiskey and then give the mixture a stir with any object that won’t break–for example, a swizzle stick–so as not to damage delicate aromas and flavors present in some whiskeys.
Step Three: Appreciate & Enjoy
Now it’s time for the best part—enjoying your Shenks whiskey! Start by appreciating its color–take note of its depth and rich hues from golden reds through caramel browns—before moving onto inhalation close up one nostril at a time or with both together so that its complexity comes alive from afar as well as when held closer towards ones mouth like when enjoying scotch whisky or chardonnay. After taking several moments appreciate how each sip opens up a range of tastes and sensations—from woody tannins through syrupy sweetness followed by smoky finish
Frequently Asked Questions About Shenks Whiskey
As one of the world’s most popular and beloved spirits, Shenks Whiskey is steeped in tradition, culture, and history. Whether you’re a novice whiskey drinker or a connoisseur, you may still have some unanswered questions about this iconic spirit. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about Shenks Whiskey.
Q: What is Shenks Whiskey?
A: Shenks whiskey is an Irish whiskey made using traditional methods with barley malt grains that have been fermented and distilled three times before being blended with pure spring water. This classic combination creates a smooth finish that is great for sipping or mixing in cocktails.
Q: How old does a bottle of Shenks Whiskey have to be?
A: In order for a bottle to legally be labeled as “Shenks Whiskey”, it must be aged for at least three years in oak barrels. The longer it is aged, the smoother and rounder the flavor will become – typically 4-5 years delivers an optimal balance of flavors.
Q: How should I serve Shenks Whiskey?
A: Depending on your preference, there are two main ways to appreciate this celebrated whiskey – straight or on the rocks (over ice). Serve neat so that you can truly enjoy the full flavor profile without diluting its scent or taste! If you like to mix drinks, there are several popular cocktails such as an Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and Rob Roy that can feature your favorite bottle of Shenks Whiskey as well!
Q: Is there anything else I need to know about enjoying Shenks?
A: To ensure that you get the richest and truest experience out of your bottle of whisky, make sure that all glasses used to serve it are properly cleaned and chilled before pouring –the temperature will help enhance aroma and texture while also showcasing its intricate nuances in every sip! Finally – always remember
Top 5 Best-selling Facts about Shenks Whiskey
1. Shenks Whiskey is the only whiskey produced in the United States that is fully aged in charcoal-filtered bourbon barrels. The unique production process of Shenks ensures a rich and flavorful experience that is full of complexity and depth.
2. Shenks Whiskey sources its unique blend of grains from six distinct family farms located throughout Kentucky and Tennessee, which provides the perfect foundation for its distinctive flavor profile.
3. Prior to laying down its whiskeyin carefully selected barrels, Shenks utilizes an innovative oak infusion process to further enhance its flavor profile and add layers of complexity to each sip.
4. These flavorful elements are then expertly blended together to create a truly one-of-a-kind product that can be enjoyed neat in a whisky tumbler or in a variety of your favorite cocktails.
5. From being served at some of the most prestigious events in North America such as polo matches, golf tournaments, horse races, and corporate gatherings, Shenks has become a staple among aficionados around the world who appreciate their quality whiskey offering at an accessible price point—making it one of the best-selling whiskies globally.